|By Ian Thain||
|September 30, 2010 11:39 AM EDT||
We have had a few months to get to grips with iOS4's release on iPhone. I am sure you are like me and could not live now without this release, with its UI features of folders and task switching as well as Apple's implementation of Multi-tasking. What I am also sure about is that, if you are and iPad user, also like me, you will believe the iOS4 release for the iPad is long overdue.
Switching between devices, iOS4.1 on the iPhone and iOS 3.2.2 on the iPad, is like changing between two pairs of glasses with different prescriptions and views! After a While it can make your world spin!
Hooray... we do not have to wait long, with the promised date of November for iOS 4.2 and the betas already being exposed to registered iOS developers.
What I am seeing in my GEO is the steady adoption of the iPad by the corporate users, but with iOS4.2 in place I expect to see this Enterprise adoption accelerate rapidly, for a number of reasons beyond those I have already mentioned above...
- Currently the iPads that are being used running iOS 3.2.2, are not able to take advantage of Apple's Mobile Device Management (MDM) hooks. MDM as part of iOS4, will satisfy those Management & Security Administrators out there in the Enterprise Mobility World, securing those iPads, in the same way as iOS4 powered iPhones and easing the worry of the 'consumerization' of iPads into the Enterprise, beyond the traditional Enterprise bought devices. Check out Afaria supporting Apple's MDM here
- Security enhancements introduced in iOS 4, protect email messages and attachments stored on the device by using the device passcode as an encryption key. There are also new Data Protection API’s that can be used for custom development and commercial apps, so that business-critical information is protected even if a device is compromised.
- Finally is my favorite, that I have been evangelizing about for a long while... Printing. I have known for many years that most Enterprise Mobile Applications, such as Sales Force Automation (SFA), Field Force Automation (FFA) or Customer Relationship Management (CRM), need some or many forms of non-repudiation, such as signature capture and the printing of customer invoices or task sheets. AirPrint will make this a reality for iOS devices.
On that last point, what I am hoping is that iOS4.2's Airprint goes beyond the public statement of printing to 'local networks' to... printing to mobile printers. Mobile printers that are compact enough, that complement the small form factors of the iOS devices being used out in the wireless network wilderness, in front of customers, away from 'local networks', possibly on Bluetooth.
The key to iPad Acceleration into Enterprise Mobility is on its way
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict