|By Greg Ness||
|January 16, 2010 06:00 AM EST||
Infrastructure 2.0 Session at Virtualization Expo
This week InformationWeek featured my recent infrastructure 2.0 interview with Alexander Wolfe. As the infrastructure 2.0 Working Group is in stealth mode, we focused on the high level tech issues resulting from the collision between virtual and static (physical) infrastructure:
InformationWeek: Let's dive right in. Define the issue, as you see it.
Greg Ness: If you look at networks today, the way they're operated, run, and configured hasn't really changed for the last several decades. There's a contrast between today's networks and today's systems. The systems are getting increasingly automated, while the networks are still very much in silos. If I were to articulate this in one sentence, I'd say that today's networks are run like yesterday's businesses.
You can read the entire interview here.
CNET blogger James Urquhart (Cisco’s Cloud Computing Market Strategist) referred to the interview in his blog entitled Understanding Infrastructure 2.0.
James did a great job highlighting the problems around manual address management at the core of the network:
"Take a look at the core TCP/IP and Ethernet networks that we all use today, and how enterprise IT manages those services. Not long ago, I wrote an article that described how most corporations relied heavily on manual labor to manage everything from IP addresses and domain names to routing and switching configuration. At the time, I cited a survey that indicated that a full 63 percent of enterprises were still using spreadsheets to manage IP addresses."
Unfortunately as we move into an era of data center virtualization and cloud computing, spreadsheets don’t cut it anymore.
You can read the rest of James’ excellent blog here, where he also points readers to several of his favorite infrastructure 2.0 blogs.
The common theme from both of these news sites is disconnect between virtualized, dynamic systems and static, manually managed networks. IT automation will require network automation and network automation will require DNS, DHCP and IPAM automation. Virtualization by itself isn’t enough; it needs an infrastructure 2.0 network.
You can follow my rants in real-time via Twitter at Archimedius.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict