|By Paul Miller||
|September 8, 2009 06:45 PM EDT||
Odd as it may seem, this question arose during my preparation for yesterday’s conversation with True Knowledge CEO, William Tunstall-Pedoe. You see, one of the demonstrations of True Knowledge’s capabilities takes the form of a local product search that looks – superficially – a lot like Google’s better known Local offering.
Searching for pizza in Google returns exactly what I’ve become accustomed to; a badly incomplete list of pizza restaurants and take aways. My initial presumption was that True Knowledge would do something pretty similar, maybe with the added smarts to find a few more establishments that didn’t explicitly say ‘pizza’ in their name or description.
I presumed wrongly. Instead, True Knowledge returned a pretty comprehensive list of shops that sell pizza; right down to the pokey little ones attached to petrol stations. I’m impressed by the comprehensiveness, and I’m impressed by the reasoning involved in working out that supermarkets like Netto or Morrisons sell pizza.
Comprehensiveness and computational cleverness aside, the stark differences in interpretation of my intention strike me as interesting; is either more ‘right?’ And if we assume, for a moment, that True Knowledge is the one that got it right, does that matter when practically everyone has become conditioned to expect the interpretation Google used?
I did raise this with William during our call, and some of his thoughts on the matter are worth hearing.
What do you think?
Related articles by Zemanta
- Local Listings Come to Google Street View (marketingpilgrim.com)
- Universal Answer Engine (arnoldit.com)
- Semantic Search Round Table at the Semantic Technology Conference (blogs.zdnet.com)
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict