|By Maureen O'Gara||
|August 31, 2009 03:45 PM EDT||
Sun tiptoed out its June results. No press release and certainly no conference call, only a SEC filing and a posting on its web site last Friday, covering what will probably be its last quarter as an independent company before it collapses into Oracle’s waiting arms – that is unless the European regulators screw it over.
The erstwhile high flyer lost another $147 million, 20 cents a share, with sales down 31% to $2.63 billion, more than the $2.37 billion financial analysts expected and towards the high end of Sun’s guidance.
This time last year it made $88 million, 11 cents a share, on revenues of $3.78 billion.
Revenue from servers in the June quarter, the end of its fiscal year, dropped 36% to $1.1 billion and support fell 15% to $886 million.
Its latest losses push its total losses for the year to $2.23 billion, some of which is blamed on the fact Sun had a lot of Wall Street customers.
Last year it made $403 million.
The AP added up the company’s losses since 2002 and they come to nasty $5.6 billion. Only 2007 and 2008 were profitable.
Sun’s going to Oracle for a generous $9.50 a share. Oracle wanted to close the deal by August 31. The European Commission should be heard from by September 3. It could ask for more information. US regulators have already waved the deal through.
Sun’s flagging server business, which IBM and HP have been attacking, has encouraged speculation that Oracle will sell off its hardware side although it has said it wants the servers to create Oracle appliances. Initially Oracle only bid for Sun’s software. Fortune speculates Oracle could sell the hardware to HP, which could use it to strengthen its EDS services. EDS has been one of Sun’s best customers.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict