|By Shaun Anderson||
|July 13, 2009 07:15 PM EDT||
There is a reason I don’t have clients I work for plastered all over my site, or home page, even though it would probably help us make new sales.
There’s a reason I don’t take linkbacks from SEO clients from their site to boost my own sites ranking in Google even though I’m missing a big trick SEO companies use to rank their own sites. We only take linkbacks from web design clients and even then sometimes I nofollow it and usually today we use Hobo or Hobo-web as the linkback (purely because that direct link can mean sales if people like that site).There’s a reason we only host clients we design and build (or maintain) websites for, not linkbuild to, on our servers today.
There’s a reason you should never ever talk in public or private forums about getting SEO done on your site (unless it’s just that, onsite search engine optimisation).
That reason is Google. Google doesn’t owe you, or us as a bona-fide seo, anything. If Google decides you’re doing something that makes Google look stupid, you might be in trouble.
I can go on record as saying I have never bought a paid link in 3+ years for a client as Hobo (apart from Yahoo). I can consider myself white hat even if I don’t put much faith in ‘hats’, I don’t spam people’s sites, I don’t use any black hat techniques as it’s too risky for my clients. 99% of the time I think I stick to Google’s guidelines (maybe it’s actually a 100% for clients). I don’t make silly claims like guaranteed first page rankings although I usually get them with a lot of work and say it’ll take me a year. I’m not secretive which SEO techniques I use. It makes for some boring sales copy and crappy rankings for us sometimes let me tell you.
Why tell Google you are trying to manipulate their results, even if it is to make their index better (in your opinion lol)? Do you really want your logo on the site of a SEO company that Google identifies as breaking it’s terms and conditions (which change quite a lot these days)?
Don’t ever tell anyone you have a SEO on board. Don’t ever let a SEO company say they are fondling your results either. Ask your seo company why your seo company has a link at the bottom of your pages, and determine for yourself the risks.
Sometimes it makes those top ten results seem a bit less, well, natural, doesn’t it (?), when someone else is telling Google they got you to number 1 for *whatever*
I may as well go on record as saying some White Hat Shock troops who say to this post “you must have something to hide” are frankly, Naive to think Google (indeed anybody) is looking after their interests – if I did have something to hide i wouldn’t post this tosh.
I just spotted a person talking on a forum about potentially hiring us. I just think that’s a bad idea that’s all, even if I am sticking to the rules.
In the end, each to his own, and maybe I should stop watching conspiracy movies and wearing tin foil over my napper
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict